Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sewing for the home

This project combines two things that I almost never work on, home sewing and quilting. And even though these pillows are out of my ordinary sewing habits, I really enjoyed making them.

After it was decided that my family was going to sell my grandparent's house, I asked if I could have one of my favorite pieces of furniture from their house. It's a wood frame modern danish couch with dark blue cushions. While I was living with my grandma the past few years this couch was in front of the living room picture window overlooking the park. I loved sitting there with a blanket, book, and cup of tea while my grandma read the newspaper in her go-to arm chair. (Pictured in the project photos is the desk chair that matches the couch).

Once I moved to my boyfriend's apartment, I decided to make some pillows to go with my favorite couch. I used some of my own tie dye cotton plus a thin linen curtain I found in my grandma's closet while we were clearing out the house. I played around with some triangles and tried my hand at quilting! Quite fun actually! Both have linen for the back with an overlapping flap and bronze snap closure. 

If you would like to make a zig zag pillow, head over to the blog Oh, Fransson! by Elizabeth Hartman. My interest in trying out some quilting was sparked by the tutorial on Piano Pillows.

My heart aches when I think about how I will no longer be able to visit my grandparent's house. However, I'm happy to incorporate some of their furniture with my own as a reminder of all the wonderful times I had there with them.



2 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to remember your grandparents with these beautiful cushions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cushions are beautiful. I love the use of dyed fabric with the linen.

    ReplyDelete